Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycleforum.com/forum.php)
-   Motorcycle Repair (http://www.motorcycleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   How to repair pinhole leak in gas tank? (http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=97325)

gjchappie 10-16-2009 03:13 PM

How to repair pinhole leak in gas tank?

Hey, I bought my bike a while back. Its a 1992 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-D3. And the thing has been nothing but excellent to me. The only issue really is that it has a few pinhole leaks at the bottom of the gas tank from sitting for about a year with no use.

So... anyone have any idea on what to do to cover them up, or any compound that might seal the hole.

1) I know to Kreem it, but it seems like a hassle, and not something im used to, so it seems complicated.
2) Ive tried both JB weld, and Waterweld (also by JB weld) and they work great for about a week... then the gas starts to come through again.

Been thinking of trying something like Expoxy on it but not sure if that will hold either, because I know gas is a terrible substance.

So anyone have any other compounds they use that is somewhat resistant to gasoline? Or any other ideas on what I should do (preferable besides Kreem the tank)

Backstory: Im moving to Texas in a few months, so im planning on selling the bike to a friend, he knows about the leaks, but dosent want to deal with Kreem either. So basically just trying to figure something thats a little less temporary than JB weld. Thanks in advance for all advice!

Custom85VT 10-16-2009 05:15 PM

Bondo does make a specially designed “Instant Gas Tank & Radiator Repair” that is a 2-part epoxy ribbon.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...or_Repair.html

Quote:

2-part epoxy ribbon

Instantly repairs leaky petrol tanks and radiators

Easy to use

No need to disassemble or drain

Sets in 5 minutes, cures in 1 to 2 hours

Downeast Thunder 10-16-2009 07:58 PM

Try using "Seal-All" - you don't have to mix anything and it works great for patching fuel tank leaks. In fact, I've used it to repair broken Float Pin posts in carburetors with great success where the Seal-All repair is immersed in gasoline constantly. It's only around a buck and a half for a small tube which is more than you need. You can get it at most hardware stores and also automotive parts stores (like NAPA). If you can't find it locally (which I'd find hard to believe), you can Google it and order on line - or go directly to Amazon.com and order it.

tribalironchoppers 10-17-2009 12:46 AM

try brazing or silver soldering it. they sell small homeowner kits at any local hardware store for like 15$...but obviously remember to drain the tank and make sure its totally dry , including vapors, or BOOM! but when u do it itll be permanent and the real solution besides actually welding it

aaronrkelly 10-17-2009 01:30 AM

Ive been there real recently with a dirt bike tank. I tried the 2 part Bondo epoxy for gas tanks....didnt work.

Finally gave up and went the Red Kote route.....I dont recommend Kreem....do some reading, doesnt hold up long for alot of people.

What I did was just take my tank to a MC shop and paid them to do it.....that way I didnt have to buy all those chemicals for only a one time use.

They were great and charged me a mere $10 to do it....I paid them double and thanked them.

Tank hasnt leaked a drop since.....

tribalironchoppers 10-17-2009 07:38 PM

kreem isnt meant to plug holes its meant to seal the inside of a good tank to protect it from rusting, causing holes. its a preventative, not a repair

aaronrkelly 10-17-2009 07:44 PM

From Kreems website:

Quote:

KREEM TANK LINER has a unique formulation with extremely rapid set-up that prevents leakage from hairline cracks and seam pinholes by coating the tank’s inner surface with a fuel resistant elastomer.

gjchappie 10-19-2009 10:41 AM

Ya, I saw from website, and mechanic told me that kreem would fill in small holes. But... went to wal-mart yesterday, and couldn't find the "Seal-All" but did find some "Gas & Oil" sealer.. so going to burn the gas I have in the bike and try that. If that dosent work, then ill go to Autozone and try to find the Seal-All. And if all else fails, yes I would soilder, just afraid of the fumes lol.

So thanks again for the replies. Ill be reposting to see what worked for me..

So far:
JB Weld: X
JB Waterweld: X
Regular Household Epoxy: X

and we will see how the rest goes!

Downeast Thunder 10-19-2009 01:41 PM

Seal-All

1 Attachment(s)
Seal-All is not always in the automotive section. Many times it's in the hardware department in places lile Wal-Mart. Plenty of places carry it though. I just copied a picture of it from Amazon.com so you'll know what it looks like. I think they sell a tube of the stuff for a buck and a half. I'll agree with a previous post that welding, or soldering/brazing is the best way to go for a permanent fix - especially if you are doing a restoration and plan on having a new paint job, etc. but for quick & dirty for a daily runner - Seal-All is a quick and cheap fix. You may not be able to sand/mold it or featheredge or paint it and the repair won't be pretty, but read this statement once more: "quick & cheap." It's all about you present needs and what you want out of it. The Seal-All fix can be removed without too much trouble when or if you get to the point where you have the time and money to perform a "proper" repair.

Downeast Thunder 10-19-2009 01:45 PM

BTW - if your tank is somewhat rusty inside, it would still behoove you to coat the inside with KREEM, or any other tank coating product of your choosing regardless of how you choose to repair your leaks. Don't be afraid to use the product. Simply read the instructions that comes with it - it will be easier than you probably imagine.

David 1 10-26-2009 12:22 AM

Tribal. Boom? Yeah, bit off topic but my neighbor & his friend were welding a tank. With vapors in it. Kaboom. And it puffed the sides of the tank out so far they wouldn't fit back onto the bike frame.
So last week I was pounding on their tank for an hour and a half with a rubber mallet to try to get it back into shape to fit on the bike.
Good for a laugh.
dc

tribalironchoppers 10-26-2009 12:48 AM

haha yea i believe it

gjchappie 10-26-2009 02:21 PM

well, ya my father strongly suggested against welding the tank because of the vapors, and I didnt feel like waiting for the vapors to disperse.

Soo....

I tried a few things, first I tried an "Oil & Gas" sealer from Loctite which I put on, and it seemed ok at first, but I was easily able to peel it up from the sides after hours of drying (says 30m max drying time on bottle). So I didnt feel like going through the hassle of trying it then taking the tank off again. But it really didnt look like it would have held, but heck you never know.

Final thing I did was use a premixed bondo on the tank, seemed to hold very well with little to no effort. So I put roughed up the area with some sandpaper (idk what grit, I just grabbed some random sandpaper and started going at it) then proceeded to clean it off with rubbing alcohol (91%) to clean the area. Then I let it air dry for about an hour and applied to bondo. First layer looked good, so I sanded it down after 3 hours drying time. Then I applied (on one area) the Loctite "Oil & Gas" over the first layer of bondo, then let that dry for an hour. Finally I reapplied more bondo on all surfaces that I needed covered (about 4 areas) and let it dry over night.

The good:
- Seems to be holding really well, but then again its only been about 48 hours.
- Easily sandable to make it seem like the tank had never been touched if I painted over it.
- Quick, not much prep or drying time needed.

The Bad:
- Nothing yet lol but we will see.... (Bondo feels like the handy man's duct tape for the average mechanic)

tribalironchoppers 10-27-2009 12:06 AM

just regular body filler bondo? shuld try fiberglassing it. i built a tank totally from fiberglass n its held for years lol. i have a 2 part epoxy gas tank sealer at my shop. idk if they sell small kits but the company is called Caswell. its what i use on all the tanks i seal from the ones i build totally from scratch for our custom choppers to old restorations or just a "better safe than sorry" seal. proven dozens of times and has never let us down. once again idk if they have small kits but we buy it by the gallon cuz were a big shop, gotta look into it. companys called Caswell

gjchappie 10-27-2009 12:40 PM

Will look into it, thanks for the advice, but again its just really something im looking for shorter term. I dont mind reapplying something every month or so. But ya, I believe its just regular filler bondo. Got it in a small tube from wal-mart for about 5 bucks. Seems to work great now at 3 days since. Not even the slightest sign of a leak

aaronrkelly 10-27-2009 04:54 PM

Listen man.....your wasting your time with the half ass repairs.

Either replace the tank or fix it right the first time and forget about it.

The RedKoat is simple and is permanent.....do it once and be done.

......otherwise I guess try bubble gum

tribalironchoppers 10-27-2009 10:02 PM

hahah bubble gum. yea i agree with aaron itll get real annoying to keep fixing the same problem. i mean if it holds then great, but if it doesnt id look into a permanent solution

MeadowHobbit 10-28-2009 08:58 AM

One thing to think about is the nature of pinholes.
Usually they are the result of the tank rusting. It
gets thin and finally rusts through in a small hole.
If you repair that hole, the rest of the are around
the hole is probably still paper thin, as other parts
may be.

If this is the case, expect that one day something
will bump the thin area and you will be looking as
a lot of gas possibly dumping between your legs
onto a hot engine.

The point here is that if you really want to keep
your tank (rather than replacing it like you should)
make your repair a serious one. Don't just patch
the hole. Repair the damage.

gjchappie 10-28-2009 02:29 PM

Like i said in original post lol. Im selling the bike in less then 2 months. So really, I dont mind as much if its not permenant. The new owner knows about it and he can figure it out if he wants lol. But as for me, like I said a few times, im just looking for a semi-permenant repair.

Which is why I started the thread in the first place... please keep on topic.

aaronrkelly 10-28-2009 11:30 PM

Any semi-permanent repairs Ive done lasted for all off two or three hours......and some only till I started the bike and the vibration caused my fix a leak epoxy (tried them all) to loose adhesion.

Ive heard of good results with fiberglass......but its not gonna be quick or easy. I suspect bondo wont hold up to actually being ridden.

gjchappie 11-03-2009 08:48 AM

Well, Bondo seems to be working very well. I prep'd the area very very well before I did it, so that may have had something to do with it.

But its been over a week, and not even close to becoming weak. It looks just like it did when I first put it on. No leaks, no wet spots, no looseness.

So for now, id recommend Bondo premix (got it from Wal-Mart) for any Semi-Permenant repairs you need to make on your gas tank :)

Koda Coyote 11-04-2009 07:23 PM

http://www.sweetstall.com/acatalog/h...strawberry.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist :biggrin: