Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycleforum.com/forum.php)
-   Yamaha (http://www.motorcycleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   1986 YAMAHA VIRAGO 1100 - opinions please (http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=75701)

TCMJim 11-29-2007 02:19 PM

1986 YAMAHA VIRAGO 1100 - opinions please

Howdy Folks,

I have been in the market for a bike for a few months now and found a used bike that will fit my budget. It is a 1986 Yamaha virago 1100. The seller did not give much info in the listing but this is what he/she posted:

"Very well maintained Bike.

Comes with windsheild and saddle bags.

Looks great!"

The bike is listed for $1200, which if it is in very good condition seems to be a fair price.

I called the people this morning but have not heard back yet.

Has anyone had any experience with this bike? I would appreciate anything you can tell me, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Boycott shampoo. Demand real Poo!

CB750F 11-29-2007 10:00 PM

I had an 87 Virago 1100. Good bike. They are a little noisy in the engine department, you'll hear the common "Virago whine" due to how the gears are cut. Other than that real reliable, decent handling but the rear drum brake sucks.

$1200 is really cheap for that bike. I sold mine in excellent condition for $2700 a couple years ago.

TCMJim 11-29-2007 11:09 PM

1986 Yamaha Virago 11oo - opinions please

Thanks CB750F,

Thanks for the reply and advice.

The owner returned my call this evening. He is holding the bike for someone but they have not been in contact with him lately. If the other person does not show the money by Friday evening he will let me know. The owner did say that the bike had been down with no damage except to the tacometer housing. I have a friend who will check out the bike for me and if I like it, I will have a local bike shop look at it before I make the final decision.

I am also looking at a 1996 Vulcan 800 custom for $2100 obo, that looks very nice. Not as many add-ons but may be a better buy overall as it is newer. The only problem is that it is in Santa Fe, NM and I do not have a MC license yet. There are no more basic MC classes until Jan. 08. Unless I can bribe someone to ride it up to Colorado Springs for me I may need to have it shipped. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

CB750F 11-30-2007 05:33 PM

I know what I would do if it were me. Either hook up the trailer or ahhhhhh you don't want to know.

TCMJim 11-30-2007 09:39 PM

Thanks CB750F,

In speaking with a local mc dealer, knowing that I will be not be purchasing from his store, expressed some concern as to whether the Vulcan could do well keeping up with highway traffic over some of the mountain passes that we have in Colorado. In particular is the Raton pass between CO and NM which reaches 10,000 ft+, Colorado Springs being about 6200 ft. The speed limit over the pass drops from 75 mph to either 65 or 55 mph but it is pretty steep at times. The possitive of the pass is that I have never experienced heavy traffic.

The only problem with the Vulcan purchase is that it stretches the budget but on the other side there will probably be less to fix.

What is your opinion of taking an 800 cc engine over a pass like I described?

Hold the press! I just received an email from a local seller I had contacted earlier. He has a 1996 Suzuki Intruder 800 and has not received the money from his previously contacted buyer. He is willing to part with the bike for 1750 -1800. The bike only has 18,500 miles on it. By the pictures it looks to be in excellent condition and comes with saddle bags. What do you think?

Thanks,

Jim

CB750F 12-02-2007 06:07 AM

Don't sound like a bad deal on the Intruder.

Quote:

What is your opinion of taking an 800 cc engine over a pass like I described?
If it won't do it then there is something wrong with the bike. An 800cc bike should do that no problem, if it doesn't then the bike is sick. It sounds to me the dealer is trying to sway you from the other bike to something he might have in his showroom.

We have mountains here, not as high as what you have but we have steep sections, and I have no problem doing them with a 500 at the speed limit or over.

TCMJim 12-02-2007 05:43 PM

Howdy Folks,

I did not get a chance to look at the bike, the original potential buyer came through with the money.

I looked a Suzuki Intruder 800 yesterday and had a friend ride it for me. The bike was not a good fit for me size wise and it was in the words of my friend "gutless." I wound up not going for it.

Back to the search.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Jim

94c46 01-04-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCMJim (Post 451406)
Howdy Folks,

I did not get a chance to look at the bike, the original potential buyer came through with the money.

I looked a Suzuki Intruder 800 yesterday and had a friend ride it for me. The bike was not a good fit for me size wise and it was in the words of my friend "gutless." I wound up not going for it.

Back to the search.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Jim

Did you buy somthing? It is now '08. Enroll in the MC safety program, get your license, test ride some bikes, then buy somthing.

JM

TCMJim 01-05-2008 01:34 AM

94c46,

Thanks for asking.

I have decided to postpone a purchase at this time. I do plan to take the mc safety course as soon as I can so that I can go and test a few bikes. My neighbor has a honda 750 sitting in his garage that is not being ridden and has offered to let me ride it whenever I want. I think he wants someone to ride with.

I am still selling things to raise money, I have decided that the more prudent thing to do is to invest some of the extra cash into my business which will generate more income and allow me to purchase the exact mc I want. Also, I will be teaching a number of seminars this year that have the potential to bring in a good amount of $, a portion of which will be allocated for the mc and allow me to purchase it through my business using it as a business expense. I even have an idea for a special business paint job, a subdued color frowning face, maybe with tears and a look of pain, with a bright yellow smiley face next to it radiating happiness and relief, with an acupuncture needle in the forehead, my business logo would be next to it. I figure that with the pained/happy faces and business logo, I am bound to strike up a conversation or two about my business when I am out joy riding which according to tax laws qualifies even that trip as a business expense. What do you think?

I was told by a mechanic to stay away from the Viragos of that vintage as they had some problems especially with the carbs. I have also read just the opposite. Who knows? I'll still probably buy an older bike for my first purchase so that I will not be so devastated if/when I drop it a couple of times. Then again, my priest, who rides an older Goldwing, keeps asking me if I have a mc yet. Maybe if I ride with him I will not have any problems and can go ahead and get a newer bike.

Anyway, I'll see how the year goes. Hopefully I will be on the road before to long.

Ride safe and stay upright.

Jim

Boycott shampoo, Demand real Poo!

CB750F 01-05-2008 04:02 AM

Quote:

I was told by a mechanic to stay away from the Viragos of that vintage as they had some problems especially with the carbs. I have also read just the opposite. Who knows?
I had my 87 for 5 years and never had a carb problem. Keep an eye on the carb boots for cracking due to age and check the clamps once in awhile to make sure they stay tight. Viragos (mostly the big ones) have a "cough" through the carb every so often to them when the throttle is closed fast on decell. This is because of the emission systems on it. Mine would do it rarely. The local long time Yamaha dealer told me about it before I bought the bike. From what he says they all do it.

Good luck on finding a bike!

TCMJim 01-06-2008 02:06 AM

Hey CB750,

Thanks for the input. A rider at a gas station let me sit on his Virago 1100 last year. I have sat many bikes since to see if they would fit me and the one he had was the most comfortable I had tried. I could just see myself taking long comfortable cruises on a bike like his. Two others come close, a 2006 C50T and a 1995 Harley dresser.

One day my butt and my wallet will find the right bike at the right price. Until then I'll keep working toward owning that perfect bike.

Ride safe , and stay upright.

Jim

pauline 01-28-2011 07:58 PM

virago 1100

Hi Pauline here lost my chrome Fuel Pump Cover for Yamaha Virago 1100 1994 between napier and palmerston north has any one out there found one or know where I can get a second hand one.

cheers Pauline

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCMJim (Post 451143)
Howdy Folks,

I have been in the market for a bike for a few months now and found a used bike that will fit my budget. It is a 1986 Yamaha virago 1100. The seller did not give much info in the listing but this is what he/she posted:

"Very well maintained Bike.

Comes with windsheild and saddle bags.

Looks great!"

The bike is listed for $1200, which if it is in very good condition seems to be a fair price.

I called the people this morning but have not heard back yet.

Has anyone had any experience with this bike? I would appreciate anything you can tell me, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Gold5th 02-05-2011 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
wow thread from the dead...

My local Yami dealer can still order me a few parts for my 88 Virago vx1100.. maybe your local dealer can get you a gas cap...

While an old thread i might as well comment I have an 88 Virago as stated above, love that bike, handle's great loves to lean, I can and have scrape(d) peg going straight down the highway :P

The only "issue" with mine is if the oil isn't at the exact right spot the oil light comes on when it's cold. The oil light is an oil level light, not an oil pressure light.

I only bought a bigger bike because I needed a physically bigger bike, I had to use the highway pegs on the Virago or my knees would kill me (I'm 6'3" and have bad knees) Plus I could sit on the rear seat and still ride it :P

TCMJim 02-05-2011 07:29 PM

Hey Gold 5th,

Well, the folks that had the Virago never called bake. I had to spend some of the money allocated for the bike on something else important, daughter's school tuition or something like that. Anyway I am still looking for the bike that allows my body, need a bigger seat and have a bad knee, and my wallet find that happy match. Friday I emailed a seller on craigslist about a 1981 Yamaha XS 1100 special for $800. It only has 7500 miles on it. I am hoping to hear from them soon. I have found some accessories on ebay that should turn this bike into a good touring/everyday bike.

If I can land this one I'll try to post some pictures.

Jim

Boycott shampoo, Demand real Poo!!!

pauline 02-06-2011 03:41 PM

hey thanks for that will try my local dealer. My oil light was coming on too when bike was cold and even flicking back on after riding a bit then going off. I found if i took the oil level right up too and maybe a fraction over the light never came on till it got down to just over half way/three quarters that might help with yours

cheers Pauline

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold5th (Post 772657)
wow thread from the dead...

My local Yami dealer can still order me a few parts for my 88 Virago vx1100.. maybe your local dealer can get you a gas cap...

While an old thread i might as well comment I have an 88 Virago as stated above, love that bike, handle's great loves to lean, I can and have scrape(d) peg going straight down the highway :P

The only "issue" with mine is if the oil isn't at the exact right spot the oil light comes on when it's cold. The oil light is an oil level light, not an oil pressure light.

I only bought a bigger bike because I needed a physically bigger bike, I had to use the highway pegs on the Virago or my knees would kill me (I'm 6'3" and have bad knees) Plus I could sit on the rear seat and still ride it :P

pauline 02-06-2011 03:50 PM

Hi Jim
Good on you I sold my bike after 11 years to get my girl to school too but like you i waited and yep back into it now trust me the kids are worth it buddy.
Good luck scoring the yamaha xs 1100 would love to send you some photos of mine but havent worked out how yet and will send some to gold 5th to when i know how lol
cheers Pauline

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCMJim (Post 772790)
Hey Gold 5th,

Well, the folks that had the Virago never called bake. I had to spend some of the money allocated for the bike on something else important, daughter's school tuition or something like that. Anyway I am still looking for the bike that allows my body, need a bigger seat and have a bad knee, and my wallet find that happy match. Friday I emailed a seller on craigslist about a 1981 Yamaha XS 1100 special for $800. It only has 7500 miles on it. I am hoping to hear from them soon. I have found some accessories on ebay that should turn this bike into a good touring/everyday bike.

If I can land this one I'll try to post some pictures.

Jim

Boycott shampoo, Demand real Poo!!!

Goosehunter6965 03-13-2012 05:45 PM

Dont Go Small

If you can look for something at least 1100,I have a virago 1100 and it fits me fine.Im ready for a bigger one though.If you buy an 800cc you will be wanting to upgrade in no time.Im 5.10 and 185lbs. just for referance.:71baldboy:

WinterWarrior 03-13-2012 09:53 PM

Different strokes for different folks. I have a 750 virago and love it. While I wish it had a little more top end, this bike can accelerate hard and corner pretty well. I am also very comfortable on it, I've been on it for hours without getting tired.

Eventually I'll get something different, but if I had to live on my Virago for another couple of years, I wouldn't complain at all.

Edit: Wow, this thread started in 2007? I bet the OP's got a bike at this point, and Pauline probably figured out the glory of 'Ebay'.

gregkw 03-03-2013 10:41 AM

Check out my 86 1100. Can't seem to open my gallery to show a photo but just click on my name or signature photo and you should see it. Greg.