Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycleforum.com/forum.php)
-   Motorcycle Training, Safety, and Riding Techniques (http://www.motorcycleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=208)
-   -   Motorcycle Safety Course (http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=63)

mikejme 05-12-2004 02:34 PM

Motorcycle Safety Course

Hey all,
I was wondering how many have taken the MSF courses? I think there great and are well worth the time and money. I have only taken the beginners safety course but in a couple years i'll take the advanced riding course.
Mike

The Bacardi God 05-12-2004 03:29 PM

I took it out here in denver

Uesque 09-20-2006 03:41 PM

I took it after 25 years of riding, and still learned something. I strongly recommend it to everyone. My wife took it as a beginner, and every time we ride I see the good habits they instilled.

a1c_joker 10-18-2006 12:02 AM

I took the advanced course where you can ride your personal bike, after a safety inspection. I really enjoed it, and I've only been riding for 4 years. They focus all on the mechanics of riding, and the mental barriers that a rider has to deal with. That and it runs a fine toothed comb over the bad habits that one builds over the years of riding on their own!

~Joker

rickymoto 10-29-2006 07:44 PM

07 Models

I recently saw this cool site they have 07 Harley's and more, you can post your bike on there and everthing for free. I think you guys should check it out its tight! theres used and new bikes.

its a .com

motorcycleforum.com

yds3guy 11-20-2006 08:15 AM

I took the beginners safety course here in town. It's great, considering it's free and they provide the bikes + helmet. I learned a ton, and it got me comfortable on a bike. I had never ridden before I took the course.

There were a lot of beginners there, and everyone improved over the time of the course!

Capt. 11-20-2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickymoto (Post 433837)
I recently saw this cool site they have 07 Harley's and more, you can post your bike on there and everthing for free. I think you guys should check it out its tight! theres used and new bikes.

its a .com

motorcycleforum.com

Hey Maico....love what ya did to the Rickymoto post! Looks much better now:p.
Capt.

Uesque 11-21-2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yds3guy (Post 434039)
I took the beginners safety course here in town. It's great, considering it's free and they provide the bikes + helmet. I learned a ton, and it got me comfortable on a bike. I had never ridden before I took the course.

There were a lot of beginners there, and everyone improved over the time of the course!

Sounds like we have a lot of PA riders here. The state does a good job with the course, I don't remember when they started it, but it's been a long time that we've been paying extra to fund it. And having been through it, I think it's worth the money.

Maico Shark 11-21-2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. (Post 434045)
Hey Maico....love what ya did to the Rickymoto post! Looks much better now:p.
Capt.

You know Capt if Ricky had contributed at all...engaged in discussions etc...I'd allow his promo bit (Though I warn all members that some sites ARE NOT SAFE and I do not check them... go there at your own risk) Of course the ZOINTS sites are all secure as well as www.pennautoconnection.com where we did advertise this site

yds3guy 11-21-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uesque (Post 434051)
Sounds like we have a lot of PA riders here. The state does a good job with the course, I don't remember when they started it, but it's been a long time that we've been paying extra to fund it. And having been through it, I think it's worth the money.

Once I get my bike on the road, we'll have to get together for a meet :D

Capt. 11-24-2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maico Shark (Post 434052)
You know Capt if Ricky had contributed at all...engaged in discussions etc...I'd allow his promo bit (Though I warn all members that some sites ARE NOT SAFE and I do not check them... go there at your own risk) Of course the ZOINTS sites are all secure as well as www.pennautoconnection.com where we did advertise this site

Gonna have to get into the zoints thing. I'm a newbie to that.

adrian 11-26-2006 10:27 AM

I have taken the MSF's BRC and ARC; they are both worth their weight in gold.

Boatski 03-25-2007 09:40 PM

I'm going to take it here in June... tried to talk my friends into it but they think its a waste of $75

CB750F 03-26-2007 10:01 PM

I don't see it as a waste because they would probably save that much for an insurance discount maybe.

KaJuN 06-06-2007 09:19 PM

Well I'm all signed up for the course and now all I have to do is wait...until the middle of August! :( I wonder how many people ahead of me are taking the safety course and then are going to be riding without a helmet, jacket, gloves, ect.? :rolleyes: Now I have to decide if I'm going to take the skills test on my own or wait until I complete the course.

BlackFlameCustoms 08-07-2007 01:53 PM

Definately never a bad idea to tighten up your road skills...

nwilson26 08-07-2007 04:05 PM

I think it's $200 here in Missouri? What's up with that?

Nitelord 08-08-2007 01:28 PM

I took it here in PA (Blackmans Cycle - Emmaus). Definitely worth the time. Learned something and met a few great people.

bigbadbiker 09-05-2007 05:16 PM

msf course in new york

hey everyone. as you see I am new to the board. thought I would chip in my .02 took the course a year ago as a re entry rider. I echo the comments here. good course, worth the money and I learned alot even though I could ride. would like to take the ERC, but it is not offered much in my area since the brc is a bigger money maker for the vendor sites that run the courses.

Guy 09-07-2007 01:04 AM

My MSF course ran $235 in Colorado, and was worth every penny. I'm a much safer rider now. I think the best thing they teach you is the proper techniques, and from that point on you know what to practice. Even old farts like me can learn a new trick or three.

w7ox 11-08-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejme (Post 137)
Hey all,
I was wondering how many have taken the MSF courses? I think there great and are well worth the time and money. I have only taken the beginners safety course but in a couple years i'll take the advanced riding course.
Mike

My wife and I took the MSF BRC here in CA last weekend. Very worthwhile .. since we'd never ridden on/shifted a cycle before (she has a Yamaha auto tran scooter). We both passed the riding test and get the CA DMV riding test waived. Since we've taken the DMV written test, we'll pick up our licenses tomorrow (then take me to the hospital to have a pacemaker installed, a need discovered today).

Aside from that: Really good info on safety, riding habits, gear, etc. Big kudos to MSF from us.

Phil

cecilbdml 12-04-2007 01:50 PM

Took the ExperRiderCourse over here about 18 months ago. Although I felt like there should have been more to it, it's never a bad idea to practice some of the basics in a parking lot.

Of course, it's a better idea to do that yourself anyway...and you can do it for just gas money.:D

R1-Limited 02-27-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejme (Post 137)
Hey all,
Mike

I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but this is close to my heart. The MSF courses are a general course in basic rider and local law, as it pertains to the state or local. In Ca, the MSF is geared to allow people to pass the DMV test and get an M1.

The course is, as I went through it, a very basic structure and requires the participant to at least have the cognitive skills to do three things at one time. In short, ride a bicycle, to my dismay, there were 4 individuals who passed the course, and received their certificate. These folks possed a threat not just to themselves but to anyone on the road, they should have not passed IMO.

I started the process to become a rider coach, but dropped out for reasons to just pass people. I could not compromise my gut feeling and standard for teaching folks how to ride.

With so many options out there to the new rider or beginner, it is, again IMHO a great need to mentor. So many nooBs are buying R1, R6 Gixxers and Z bikes and getting hurt. Thats why I started gotrackday.com to try and bring all these options to old and new riders/

michaelmichaelmotorcycle 02-28-2008 12:38 AM

$225 here in NY. Well worth it. IMHO I think it should be mandatory.

firebos7 03-13-2008 01:05 PM

I took the Canadian equivalent of it ^_^

webhustler 03-13-2008 07:02 PM

I never took an official course, but I had a good father that filled that role for me. I know that people say that to take a course is best. i myself recommend them, but nothing replaces a father telling you to get up and do it again, instead of failing you.

gammaqueen 03-13-2008 07:51 PM

It is $150.00 here in North Carolina. I really enjoyed the class.

louturks 03-15-2008 05:25 AM

I just took the BRC. It was money well spent. Learned a whole lot there.

smiles81 03-23-2008 10:21 PM

I'll be taking the ABATE Basic riders course here in Indiana this coming weekend...only cost me $75

bubbamedic 03-23-2008 10:51 PM

Learned some good things from the NC version last weekend. Alot of what I learned transitions right to my bike on the road. I highly recommend this course.

mattssi 04-20-2008 05:45 PM

I took it, and used that DL389 to get my license. Great course - I've never ridden before.

I need to now go rent a bike and practice some more!

Connor 04-27-2008 09:10 PM

Me being in the military have to take the course which is cool because they pay for it, the only problem is my license is my home state of Kansas and they won't accept the course unless it is tought in Kansas and the base will only pay for the one that they provide for us.

iamgumby 04-27-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor (Post 476493)
Me being in the military have to take the course which is cool because they pay for it, the only problem is my license is my home state of Kansas and they won't accept the course unless it is tought in Kansas and the base will only pay for the one that they provide for us.

That is messed up! :mad:

Connor 04-27-2008 11:45 PM

I mean I could go to Kansas and pay for one, but that is around $200 that I don't have right now.

TallDrink 04-28-2008 09:58 AM

Having taken the class, as well as my father taking the class (father hasnt ridden since 75). I found myself asking "Why isn't this class mandatory to get your liscense?" There is so much taught in that class it should be mandatory.

iamjustifyd 04-28-2008 11:28 PM

Took the class in Feb. here $100 well worth it. I was told in a about 2 yrs. it will be mandatory to take the class. You have to take a driving class here to get your regular dl. New Olreans

adrian 04-28-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallDrink (Post 476617)
I found myself asking "Why isn't this class mandatory to get your liscense?" There is so much taught in that class it should be mandatory.

I feel the same way.

eddie_D 05-17-2008 08:26 PM

Glad to find this thread. Im here in NYC. Last I heard its 300$. Quite expensive if you ask me. From what I know, its not guaranteed to get your waiver. Can anyone shed some light here for me?

Shifty 05-18-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallDrink (Post 476617)
Having taken the class, as well as my father taking the class (father hasnt ridden since 75). I found myself asking "Why isn't this class mandatory to get your liscense?" There is so much taught in that class it should be mandatory.

I would have to agree, the class was a great class and I cant tell you how much I learned. Its 150 for under 21 and 250 for over 21 here in CA.

LDIReproPhil 05-22-2008 05:02 PM

Georgia:
The Basic Course (BRC)
Enrollment fee, $250.00 (Out-of-state fee, $350.00)

The Experienced Course (ERC)
Enrollment fee, $150.00 (Out-of-state fee, $250.00)

Successful completion of a course may entitle a graduate to a 90-day waiver for the Department of Driver Services motorcycle license written examination and road test. It does not waive the vision test or any licensing fees.