Motorcycle Forum banner

stuck rear axle?

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  cafebrad 
#1 ·
hey yall, i am trying to pull off the rear end of my 78 xs400 too stretch the swingarm a few inches. I pulled the castle nut off and undid the bolt to the rear caliper and loosened the rearsets. can't get the rear axle to come out. it seems stuck to the caliper because if i turn the wheel, the caliper turns too. everything was fine the last time i rode her, which was only like 4 or 5 weeks ago. Now i've mushroomed the end of the axle from bangin on it. am i screwed? also can i just find another swingarm from something else that is a little longer or will the bushings not fit the pivot point. i might be in over my head.

#2 ·
If you wailed on it that hard and it didn't move something is stuck, probably a bearing siezed on to the axle. How you're gonna get it out is to really wail on it and hope the swingarm doesn't get tweeked. Make sure everything is loose or off. If you have the swingarm off support it with some wood blocks so it can't bend. The way to prevent mushrooming the axle bolt is take the castle nut off, flip it over so the castle part is going towrd the inside and thread it on there enough it's on there good but enough that the end of the bolt doesn't stick out. Good luck bud.

#3 ·
Patience........spray everything you can reach with wd-40 or other lightweight lube a couple of times a day for about a week and it should loosen. A trick to do and not ruin the axil is leave the nut on and run it to the end of the axil and get a 2x4 or something put it over the end and whack the 2x4 with the hammer not the axil itself. Or get a deadblow hammer or a brass hammer and hit the nut. If you ruin the nut it is alot cheaper to find and replace than the axil. I have been there and learned these things the hard way when i was younger and impatient with less money..............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.