Longtime Vespa rider and I have always lusted after a BMW. Last year I decided that some seat time on a real motorcyles was in order
Stole my thunder Joel!
I've been a motorcycle rider since age 12, rode only Hondas from Mini 50 to V45 Sabre which was my last bike that I sold in 1992 after my daughter was born. Hadn't been on two wheels till summer 2008 when I got the bug for a Vespa and purchased a GTS250 in Dragon Red. I loved the scooter, especially the storage, 65mpg, and the Sprezzatura! But the pot hole situation here in Rockland County NY has gotten out of control, recently I just missed one that had it caught my front wheel I'd be six feet under. That was when I decided I needed a full size bike again and sold the Vespa. But I guess I've mellowed with age, I'm no longer seduced by the edgy Jap super bikes and I'm not going to be a Harley guy in this lifetime. I'd been eying a used Triumph, but there's just something about that boxer. I new I wanted a twin of some sort and then spotted a potential great deal on ebay. I just won this 1996 R1100R with 17,500 miles and full documented service history for $2500. Mechanically very sound but has some cosmetic issues. I could us some advise on the following, and bear in mind that I dont have a garage to do my own mechanical work:
1. There's a dent in the front rim on the left side, not very noticeable until I hit 70mph, any recommendations on where in my area(within an hours ride) to get it fixed? I was thinking of heating the spot with a hair blower and giving it some wacks with a rubber mallet. I figure if I can get it 90% true then a good balancing can compensate. I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new rim.
2. Any recommendations for a good seat re-upholsterer?
3. Nasty dent in gas tank, best price I got so far(if I remove and ship) is $450.
4. I need better mirrors than stock...bigger and wider!
5. Handguards...for the fall cold weather...not brush and branches.