very nice...what all did you have to do to get it ready for inspection?
Thank you! Well, first of all that hideous fairing was hiding a lot of damage from a drop or crash by the previous owner. The headlight trim ring was scraped and gouged, so I ground it smooth and painted it black. The master cylinder was cracked where the lever attaches, and they drilled and tapped the casting and ran a screw through it to hold it all together! I replaced that with a good unit from ebay. The rear brake pedal was bent in, also replaced via ebay. They had the wiring to the turn signals all screwed up from when they installed the fairing, so I had to sort that out, along with replacing one of the signal assemblies. The fender was sitting too high in the front, so I enlarged the mounting holes to give it a little adjustment room. Most of the gauge lights were burned out, and the gauge mounting bracket was broken, rivited together, and was still bent. Also replaced via ebay! Tach and speedo cables needed lube. For my own peace of mind I replaced the original round mirrors with a set of larger rectangles.
Performance-wise; the plug wire ends were all corroded inside, and one of them was actually missing the spring above the resister! They all got replaced along with new plugs. The carbs were all clogged up, especially the screens above the float needles. So, the carbs got some new parts, seals,etc., and I had to clean a little rust from the tank. The rest of it involved a lot of cleaning. Looked like the bike was never cleaned. It looked worse in person than the picture showed!
Now the bike is strong, reliable, and looks pretty good on the street...