Motorcycle Forum banner

What state has the most motorcyclists?

13K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  The Shervinator 
#1 ·
My bud and I always have an ongoing argument, he said California has the most active riders but I cant find any data to prove or disprove his statement...does anyone know an answer to this factoid?

chuck

#9 ·
I found this tidbit but it looks dated :

-------
There is considerable state-by-state variation in motorcycle registrations per population. The five states with the highest rates of registrations per 1,000 population in 2000 are Iowa (43.3), New Hampshire (39.4), Wyoming (38.8), South Dakota (38.7), and Vermont (35.7). The five states with the lowest registration rates are New York (5.7), Virginia (8.6), Texas (9.0), Maryland (9.3) and Arkansas (9.4).

While Alpine County (zip code 96120) and its central town of Markleeville is scarcely populated, so many locals ride motorcycles that it ranks as state's highest for the rate of registered bikes, according to a Record analysis of California Highway Patrol data from 2003.
-------

Chuck

#10 ·
I would have guessed SD on a per capita basis (Sturgis). Even though North and South Dakota have small total populations, just over a million people combined. We LOVE summer and almost everyone has a camper, boat or motorcycle. Some have all three. We try to wring every ounce of fun out of our short summers that we can!

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Another interesting question would be which state has the most bikes by category: sport, dirt, cruisers, etc.

Someone said Vegas has a lot of cruisers, and I see a lot of sport bikes in my riding areas here in California. Btw, a great forum for sport bike riders in my area is Check it out for spirited M/C discussions.

Here's an example:

And some of the threads are even better than this!

MOD edit: Removed forum links (Not allowed per policy)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.