Motorcycle Forum banner

1972 Suzuki GT750

38K views 118 replies 35 participants last post by  bweighmaster 
#1 ·
Here is my restoration project. A 1972 Suzuki GT750: 6983 origional miles, Candy Lavender (pink) original paint. I have a Florida Antique tag on it and JUST got it running right today. I am now going to mov to the brakes, then suspension, electronics and then cosmetics. This has been in my family since it was bought new in 1972 by my grandfather in PA. Then my great uncle had it for a decade or so, then my uncle had it for a number of years and now it has been passed down to me afte sitting under a tarp in my uncle's garage for close to 8 years. Please give me your ideas, opinions and any tips you might have. Thanks, enjoy!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
OMG A MINT 750 KETTLE!!!! :D

please do not customise it at all - looks show worthy already.
they fetch a pretty penny over here :)
remember the 1st one i rode in 1981, was the fastest thing i'd been on - don't think i got past 3rd lol.
(nice gear indicator between the clocks too!)
always fancied one as a restoration job, but finding a clean example is rare.
looks like you've found a top one!

more pics please!

#3 ·
More pics to come. It's not quite show room ready yet. There's still alot of workto be done. Shiny parts need to be restored/renewed, paint needs to be renewed (but will be kept the same color) and it needs a new started clutch and an exhaust cone for the right cylinder. It does look GREAT for 37 years old and all origional except for te handle bars. There are short "Z" style handle bars on it currently. I will keep posting updates and pics as the work comes along.

#5 · (Edited)
More pictures

More pics

I rode this afternoon, it's a TWO hand bike. I richened up the mid range and WOW! I got it up to about 95 on the highway and quickly brought it back t the speed limit, I dont want a ticket and I dont quite have complete trust in it just yet...meaning I am still afraid a tire is going to shred or fall apart or a wheel bearing is going to fail. But this bike is a BLAST to ride! I am VERY fortunate that I came to own this one. There will be no "Cafe'(ing)" this bike, it's going to be as origional as I can safely make it. I think I am going to upgrade to front disk brake vs. the stock dual leading shoe drums and I am probably going to upgrade the carbs to 1977 carbs.

Attachments

#35 ·
More pics

I rode this afternoon, it's a TWO hand bike. I richened up the mid range and WOW! I got it up to about 95 on the highway and quickly brought it back t the speed limit, I dont want a ticket and I dont quite have complete trust in it just yet...meaning I am still afraid a tire is going to shred or fall apart or a wheel bearing is going to fail. But this bike is a BLAST to ride! I am VERY fortunate that I came to own this one. There will be no "Cafe'(ing)" this bike, it's going to be as origional as I can safely make it. I think I am going to upgrade to front disk brake vs. the stock dual leading shoe drums and I am probably going to upgrade the carbs to 1977 carbs.
Your brake is worth a bunch, I understand from 300-400 bucks for the 4 leading shoe GT750 brakes, because they're legal for the vintage road racing classes and are way less expensive than any of the Fontanas or Gimecas repopped.

But if possible, for the sake of the originality you should see if you can find someone who can adjust the stock brake to work at it's best, since the bike is so original. Or keep it for restoration. You should be able to find the bolt on later GT750 forks with all the stuff and just slide the tubes into your triple clamps and the detail work.

#8 ·
I'll look in to the damper, thanks!

I added inline fuel filters and shut-off valves to each fuel line today...over the weekend one night, one of the carbs overflowed and made a lake of gas in my garage...NOT GOOD! So after a good claning of the carbs, petcock and tank...AGAIN...I added the filters and valves for peace of mind. I was also thinking of going with an after market fuel petcock/valve with "on", "reserve" and "off"; on the stock set up therre is "on", "reseve" and "prime". Is there any reason why I shouldn't go with one with out a "prime" setting? There is also a line going from the front of the left carb to the back of the vacum diaphram on the petcock. If I went with a petcock with out that vacum line can I simply cap off the fitting on the carb? Or will I have fuel metering problem then?

#34 ·
There is also a line going from the front of the left carb to the back of the vacum diaphram on the petcock. If I went with a petcock with out that vacum line can I simply cap off the fitting on the carb?
You can cap it. It is just a vacuum source for the petcock.

Nice bike! I've been looking for a Buffalo. Zoom (or anyone else), if you decide to sell yours let me know...running or not.

#10 ·
looks great, i seen one almost as nice that i could have bought for 700.00 about 3 weeks ago, running condition but lack of funds.but i do have the same bike a 1971,& same color for parts,or whatevers left over, after 4+ft of snow took out my garage with several bikes& other stuff.

#12 ·
Very nice Smokerider!
I'm new to the forum and looking for advice. I have a 1972 Suzuki GT750 that I bought new. It has 10,000 miles on it and has not run since 1977. It has been garage kept since then, but shows the usual signs of age after being neglected so long. I'm trying to decide if I should restore it, sell as is, or part it out. It is absolutley stock with no missing parts. Do you happen to have any resources/links to anyone interested?

Thanks
Zoom

#14 ·
Wow, very nice bike. It's cheaper here to get a good one of those compared to say a Kawasaki H2. A lot of three year bikes are not in as good order.

zooment, it would be a shame to part it out. Did it have front disks at that point? The ones with front drums, even the drums themselves go for a fair amount of money.

#21 ·
Early 2t Suzuki for sale

Hi Zooment

That dealer has an early GT750 for close to 6000 Euro. I thought that dealer to be expensive, but his prices have moved closer to the norm in the UK. Prices in Ireland and the UK seem to vary between 3000 for the later ones and twice that for the earlier drum model. Ones in poor condition, maybe 1000, or it was advertised for that two years ago, but I only ever saw two in project condition. Sometimes a desperate or ill-informed seller can advertise a good bike for less, but that's rare. The 'Kettle' as it's called here was sold in much bigger quantities than Kawasaki's biggest two stroke triple. I hope to get one myself eventually, but there are some expenses to meet first. I've never taken my bike outside Ireland, so I might not be able to provide too much advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.