how old were you when you started riding? - Page 3 - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Stories Behind every motorcycle there is a story.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 259 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Rough Writer
 
Klrlindy63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
14, Friends dirt bike in local sand pits. Bought a moped at 15 and a motorcycle at 17. Didnt buy a car until I was 19.
Klrlindy63 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 259 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Verified
 
TzelRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Dirt bike: 14. Street bike: 19. Long hiatus with only the occasional ride but now I'm on the road again!

TzelRyder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TzelRyder is offline  
post #83 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:00 AM
Verified
 
Skatergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
I rode a dirt bike a few times when I was 17, and rode a motorcycle for the first time when I was 19.
Skatergirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #84 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
EntropyFx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Dirt bike 17, real bike at 24.
EntropyFx is offline  
post #85 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Verified
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ohio
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
started riding a 50cc scooter at 15, one and a half years later(now) im riding a suzuki M50
roboM50 is offline  
post #86 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New London County, Connecticut
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Rode a moped in high school. It was great. Didn't ride for many years.

4 Years ago got a Suzuki Savage 650. Loved it. Learned a lot.

2 months ago bought a Suzuki Intruder 1400. Love it!
Schatzie is offline  
post #87 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New London County, Connecticut
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Just realized, I didn't put my age! I started riding (second time around) at 38.

Oops!
Schatzie is offline  
post #88 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Motorcyclist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
started last summer with a 1976 Puch moped
just recently picked up a 72 CL350

so started at 20, def wish i got into it earlier
shuzzi is offline  
post #89 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Rough Writer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
I started riding this year, 44 years old. Took a riding course and the wife bought me a Ducati Monster 696 for our anniversary. I got it new in July, there's 1,700 miles on it now.
jrswanson1 is offline  
post #90 of 259 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Master At Arms
 
winters46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
22
winters46 is offline  
post #91 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Mudflap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
 
I rode various dirt bikes and trikes as a kid, around 10-12 years old. As far as motorcycles, 37, it was last weekend.
Mudflap is offline  
post #92 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Verified
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
I rode an MC for the first time at the spry young age of 33

I had to make damn sure that all of the stupid risk taking and crazy fast driving was out of my system first (having a kid helps with that a lot).
the8thst is offline  
post #93 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
buellosaurusrex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northeast Illinois
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Nine years old, won't say how long ago, but Nixon was in his first term......
buellosaurusrex is offline  
post #94 of 259 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Motorcyclist
 
lonewonderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Just started at 25.
lonewonderer is offline  
post #95 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 AM
Verified
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
19 years old
Malangs is offline  
post #96 of 259 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
 
Critter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Baltimore Washington Corridor
Posts: 7,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
 
rode from 16 to 43, and starting again this year at 67
Critter is online now  
post #97 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
25, i am 31 now
BOYD is offline  
post #98 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 AM
She who breaks down a lot
 
Saavik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV/ Fisherville & Atkins, VA
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
23 (First ride was in MSF this past Saturday on a Honda Nighthawk.)
Saavik is offline  
post #99 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Verified
 
MadMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Twin Cities
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
I was 21 or 22, too lazy to the math.
MadMoose is offline  
post #100 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Motorcyclist
 
wind rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Got a little moped as gift from my parents when I was 14 - crashed it that afternoon into our garage door LOL
wind rider is offline  
post #101 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Rough Writer
 
Klrlindy63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellosaurusrex View Post
Nine years old, won't say how long ago, but Nixon was in his first term......
Klrlindy63 is offline  
post #102 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Rollin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
 
Had a mini-bike when I was 14.

I was 19 when I bought my first new bike; a 1973 Ducati 750GT.
Rollin' is offline  
post #103 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Road Captain
 
Jrossetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Frankfort Ky
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
48 when I learned to ride.
Jrossetti is offline  
post #104 of 259 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Motorcyclist
 
wind rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrossetti View Post
48 when I learned to ride.
Cool - never too late
wind rider is offline  
post #105 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Hooker
 
heyimjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Just started at 30. Dad helped get my first car, but wasn't about to "spoil his kids" with recreational vehicles. Got my student loan and found a great deal on a bike, and that was that.
heyimjason is offline  
post #106 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 08:27 AM
She who breaks down a lot
 
Saavik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV/ Fisherville & Atkins, VA
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyimjason View Post
Just started at 30. Dad helped get my first car, but wasn't about to "spoil his kids" with recreational vehicles. Got my student loan and found a great deal on a bike, and that was that.
I haven't had to take out a student loan yet, I'm doing community college general studies transfer program so I only have to get a fraction of the student loans when I transfer to a Bachelors degree.

"Scooty Puff Jr sucks!"
Saavik is offline  
post #107 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Hooker
 
heyimjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saavik View Post
I haven't had to take out a student loan yet, I'm doing community college general studies transfer program so I only have to get a fraction of the student loans when I transfer to a Bachelors degree.
FAFSA takes care of my classes and books, but I did a loan anyway just to get a bike and a few other things I wanted. Figured I deserved it. lol
heyimjason is offline  
post #108 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM
She who breaks down a lot
 
Saavik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV/ Fisherville & Atkins, VA
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyimjason View Post
FAFSA takes care of my classes and books, but I did a loan anyway just to get a bike and a few other things I wanted. Figured I deserved it. lol
For my bike, I got a personal loan from my bank, I do see myself having to take out a student loan within the next year when I transfer.

"Scooty Puff Jr sucks!"
Saavik is offline  
post #109 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Master At Arms
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Martinsburg WV
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Inherited a semi-complete '53 KH flathead at the age of 14 in 1966. Had it together and running at 16 in 1968. Road it all thru H.S. and then traded it for a Bonnie.
Buffalorider is offline  
post #110 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:32 AM
Hooker
 
heyimjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saavik View Post
For my bike, I got a personal loan from my bank, I do see myself having to take out a student loan within the next year when I transfer.
If I had the credit, I'd have gone that route. Nobody told me that not paying a ripoff cable bill or cellphone bill was going to affect my credit! :P
But hey, by the time I'm done with law school, those monthly payments will be a mere inconvenience.
heyimjason is offline  
post #111 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Rough Writer
 
Klrlindy63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyimjason View Post
If I had the credit, I'd have gone that route. Nobody told me that not paying a ripoff cable bill or cellphone bill was going to affect my credit! :P
But hey, by the time I'm done with law school, those monthly payments will be a mere inconvenience.
Kind of inconsiderate of the bankers to want to see your payment history when they are considering loaning you their customers money.
So you decided that the cable company that you subscribed to was charging you to much so you stopped paying, as well as your cell phone carrier. I cannot believe that they reported you to the credit bureau's.

All sarcasm aside, if you haven't already you should try to settle those items with the companies, requesting that they take it off your credit report, also request a letter stating that the item has been settled. This will help you get a loan and often it will help you with the rate. I have seen loan applications get denied because of delinquencies from cell phone carriers.
I wish you well with your studies!
Klrlindy63 is offline  
post #112 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Hooker
 
heyimjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrlindy63 View Post
Kind of inconsiderate of the bankers to want to see your payment history when they are considering loaning you their customers money.
So you decided that the cable company that you subscribed to was charging you to much so you stopped paying, as well as your cell phone carrier. I cannot believe that they reported you to the credit bureau's.

All sarcasm aside, if you haven't already you should try to settle those items with the companies, requesting that they take it off your credit report, also request a letter stating that the item has been settled. This will help you get a loan and often it will help you with the rate. I have seen loan applications get denied because of delinquencies from cell phone carriers.
I wish you well with your studies!
Well, when you lose your job due to a condition that you can't help, then use the rest of your savings to live off of while supporting the girlfriend of 5 years that's living with you because she lost her job, the moving out because it turns out that she's a cheating whore, yeah, sometimes a few bills won't get paid.

I worked for a credit department, so I know the game well. The debts are to the point that they're starting to fall off of my credit report. Once I'm finished with college, I'll work on paying them off. I've also had a few debts completely erased because the collectors broke a few laws (namely, telling people that answered, and leaving messages stating that they were bill collectors).

Once I get everything squared away, I really doubt I'll ever use credit, other than for buying a house. Everything else can be saved up for. Between learning how to get by without credit, and learning how the credit system works, it's really a lot less important and useful than the average American gives it "credit" for.
heyimjason is offline  
post #113 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Rough Writer
 
Klrlindy63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Like I was taught, "get the whole story"
You are correct. Glad to see you are getting your life back on track.
Klrlindy63 is offline  
post #114 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 PM
She who breaks down a lot
 
Saavik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV/ Fisherville & Atkins, VA
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
I didn't find out until I got my personal loan that my credit score vanished since I did not use credit for anything in a year, My history was solid, but it was an interesting lesson. My personal loan will help my credit this year and I will take out a $300 loan at least once a year and use the loan to pay it back, it will make my credit better and keep my credit score alive.

"Scooty Puff Jr sucks!"
Saavik is offline  
post #115 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Hooker
 
heyimjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrlindy63 View Post
Like I was taught, "get the whole story"
You are correct. Glad to see you are getting your life back on track.
Thanks.
There's always a positive spin. Now, I don't put up with any crap when I date someone. I haven't become a hardass about dating, but I'll walk away from drama, dishonesty, and anything that just feels "weird" in general. So, while my family gives me crap for being 30 and never married/no kids (younger brother and sister are married), I point out that my dad's been married twice and has a hard time getting along with his new wife, and and my mother's been divorced three times, and my brother is on his 2nd marriage and it's not looking good at all.

Well, that, and I learned how to manage money a hell of a lot better than most people. When you're scraping up change for some ramen, and not entirely sure where you'll be sleeping the next day, saving up and spending frugally sorta come with the territory. Oh, and it makes me appreciate how far I've come and what I do have in life. As long as I've got my health, a few friends, family, and my bike, I'll be alright.
heyimjason is offline  
post #116 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Hooker
 
heyimjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saavik View Post
I didn't find out until I got my personal loan that my credit score vanished since I did not use credit for anything in a year, My history was solid, but it was an interesting lesson. My personal loan will help my credit this year and I will take out a $300 loan at least once a year and use the loan to pay it back, it will make my credit better and keep my credit score alive.
The best way to do that is to go to a bank that does secure loans. Put about $1,000 into savings, get a loan for $1,000, then have them freeze the savings and take the monthly payments from that loan. The interest offsets the cost slightly, and your score steadily climbs.
heyimjason is offline  
post #117 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Rough Writer
 
Klrlindy63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyimjason View Post
Thanks.
There's always a positive spin. Now, I don't put up with any crap when I date someone. I haven't become a hardass about dating, but I'll walk away from drama, dishonesty, and anything that just feels "weird" in general. So, while my family gives me crap for being 30 and never married/no kids (younger brother and sister are married), I point out that my dad's been married twice and has a hard time getting along with his new wife, and and my mother's been divorced three times, and my brother is on his 2nd marriage and it's not looking good at all.

Well, that, and I learned how to manage money a hell of a lot better than most people. When you're scraping up change for some ramen, and not entirely sure where you'll be sleeping the next day, saving up and spending frugally sorta come with the territory. Oh, and it makes me appreciate how far I've come and what I do have in life. As long as I've got my health, a few friends, family, and my bike, I'll be alright.
Sounds like some hard lessons.
I have been down, not like that but not having money teaches you a lot about stretching it as far as you can.
As far as relationships are concerned I have been blessed, married my high school girlfriend when I was 21, she was 20. 28 years and 3 kids later I am still happy! Dont let others dictate when you should get married, finding someone worth marrying is far more important, I think you have figured that out too! My parents have been married for 58 years.
I always tell my boys, its not about how many friends you have, its about the few that truly are your friends, and they will be the ones that will be there when the chips are down.
I started with a sarcastic remark, and finish admiring your accomplishments.
I wish you the best.
Klrlindy63 is offline  
post #118 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Hooker
 
heyimjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrlindy63 View Post
Sounds like some hard lessons.
I have been down, not like that but not having money teaches you a lot about stretching it as far as you can.
As far as relationships are concerned I have been blessed, married my high school girlfriend when I was 21, she was 20. 28 years and 3 kids later I am still happy! Dont let others dictate when you should get married, finding someone worth marrying is far more important, I think you have figured that out too! My parents have been married for 58 years.
I always tell my boys, its not about how many friends you have, its about the few that truly are your friends, and they will be the ones that will be there when the chips are down.
I started with a sarcastic remark, and finish admiring your accomplishments.
I wish you the best.
That's mighty fine of ya.
I'm not jealous of much, but a good, strong family does sound pretty awesome.
Glad things worked out as good as they did for ya. Never take it for granted lol
heyimjason is offline  
post #119 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Rough Writer
 
Klrlindy63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
amen
Klrlindy63 is offline  
post #120 of 259 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Motorcyclist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: sc
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
i was 22. and i started believe it or not on a busa. man i crazy
2Remarkable is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome