How To Check The Stator Voltage??? - Motorcycle Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Master At Arms
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Question How To Check The Stator Voltage???

hey guys my battery is rapidly draining and i asked the guys at the dealer what it could be and they said it might be a stator issue... they said it probably wasn't the regulator...

so I'm wondering what is the process for checking the voltage in it? i have a multimeter btw. also someone mentioned something about having to have like the original specs for the voltage in the stator or something? how can i get these for a GY6 qmb139 49cc engine? also should i post this in the repair forum?

thanks.
twistedkeys is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 4,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
May not be your particular model, but the results are the same.
Start here http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm
and follow the other parts.

Eric
67fire is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedkeys View Post
hey guys my battery is rapidly draining and i asked the guys at the dealer what it could be and they said it might be a stator issue... they said it probably wasn't the regulator...
That is also the sign of a worn out (sulphated) battery.

The first thing you should do is charge the battery and have it load tested.
About 90% of the cases of "my battery won't hold a charge" is because of the battery itself.

THEN......there is really no reason to test the stator voltages IF the battery is receiving sufficient charging voltage when the bike is running; that being 12.8 volts or higher. If the running voltage never goes below the resting voltage of the battery, then it's likely that your charging system is OK and there is no reason to take it apart for other tests.
Easy Rider 2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Master At Arms
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
That is also the sign of a worn out (sulphated) battery.

The first thing you should do is charge the battery and have it load tested.
About 90% of the cases of "my battery won't hold a charge" is because of the battery itself.

THEN......there is really no reason to test the stator voltages IF the battery is receiving sufficient charging voltage when the bike is running; that being 12.8 volts or higher. If the running voltage never goes below the resting voltage of the battery, then it's likely that your charging system is OK and there is no reason to take it apart for other tests.
dude i have bought 4 different batteries (one of them being an $80 one) for that bike in the last couple months. all the same problem.
twistedkeys is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 4,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedkeys View Post
dude i have bought 4 different batteries (one of them being an $80 one) for that bike in the last couple months. all the same problem.
Have you read ALL of the information that is available to you in the link that I posted yet?

Eric
67fire is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Master At Arms
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fire View Post
Have you read ALL of the information that is available to you in the link that I posted yet?

Eric
i will when i have time
twistedkeys is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedkeys View Post
dude i have bought 4 different batteries (one of them being an $80 one) for that bike in the last couple months. all the same problem.
Save the "dude" crap.

If you want better advice, you need to supply ALL the facts.

At what point are you going to stop guessing and take it to a mechanic ??

If you have bought 4 batteries, you have wasted about $200 already.

I'm done.
Easy Rider 2 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Master At Arms
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Save the "dude" crap.

If you want better advice, you need to supply ALL the facts.

At what point are you going to stop guessing and take it to a mechanic ??

If you have bought 4 batteries, you have wasted about $200 already.

I'm done.
hahaha funny BRO ( ) the dealer charges a starting fee of $90 to start looking at it! last time i made a mistake taking my bike in there and had to bail it out! they don't even do anything!!
twistedkeys is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome