What's your reason NOT to wear a helmet? - Motorcycle Forum
User Tag List

 60Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Motorcyclist
 
cheechee1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
 
Garage
What's your reason NOT to wear a helmet?

Everybody should know how many deaths are caused from head trauma on motorcycles... yet I feel in my immediate area I am part of a minority of riders who actually wear full gear.
I have crashed before so that might be why. But I am curious why most people on cruisers choose not to ride with a helmet? Is it because they don't think riding with full gear looks cool or is normal for their area? Would you be viewed as a square for doing so? Or do you not care if you scrape your lower jaw off on an asphalt slide?
domindart and jcnbianco like this.
cheechee1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:18 AM
Master At Arms
 
Glenn54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Hemphill, Texas
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
 
I doubt there is a good reason not to wear a helmet. If I had to guess, I'd say those that don't on a regular basis do so because of comfort or feel. They do get hot in the summer. I have chosen not to wear one on occasion, over the last year due to neck problems.
The extra weight on my head will make my neck hurt to the point I can't wear the helmet any longer. I purchased a carbon fiber helmet hoping that would solve the problem but it did not. A friend gave me a half shell that helps a lot but still not perfect.
Glenn54 is offline  
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:33 AM
Road Captain
 
Bedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Norman, Ok
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
 
Garage
I can only speak for myself, but for me, it's always gloves, jeans and boots, Helmet when the law requires it, everything else is comfort driven, because that's what works for me.

If you decide what works for you is to wear full gear and a helmet at all times, good on ya! do what works for you. The question I'd have for you is what difference does it make to you what someone else does.
Bedub is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:54 AM
Hero of Legend
 
Kaptain K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
 
There isn't honestly a "good" reason. People have their reasons, but most of them are just excuses.

I've heard that helmets are uncomfortable and get hot. Well, then you need a PROPER fitting helmet. A proper fitting helmet should not cause discomfort while riding. As for getting hot, I can only speak for a 3/4, but even in 90 heat, I don't get hot from a helmet. When I start to complain about heat, the helmet is the last thing to seem problematic. It usually starts in the arms, and legs, for me.

And If it's a full face or has a visor, it should have vents that allow air in. And if nothing else, you can open the visor for fresh air. And if we're talking about a half shell, then I can't imagine how that "feels hot". It's basically an oversized hat.

But when you really get down to the meat of the matter, all the self-convincing bollocks aside, it's almost exclusively "to look cool". In my own experience, there is no other reason. Some admit to it, others don't. But that is really the only legitimate reason.

"Pseudo-philosophical quote" - Pseudo-philosopher

Last edited by Kaptain K; 04-18-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Kaptain K is offline  
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:25 AM
American Legion Rider
 
hogcowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
Posts: 12,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
 
Garage
I'd bet those that don't here in Texas claim it's a heat issue. And I agree that 104º - 112º temps it's crazy hot. Although I truly suspect it's a macho thing or peer pressure from other riders. But they'll have to answer the question. The furthest I'll go is half helmet and even that is stupid. I tried one once and was spoiled. So I can truly see why those that don't wear one like it. The peripheral vision is much improved. So that's probably another "excuse" used to justify not wearing one. Then they'll use the expense as if their head is worthless. There really isn't a good reason not to wear one but then is there a good reason to ride to begin with since riding is very dangerous from the get-go.
domindart likes this.

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Do everything like your life depends on it. It COULD!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hogcowboy is offline  
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
 
Eye_m_no_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 15,232
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
 
Some people are comfortable taking more risks then others, and in fact, enjoy those risks.
domindart and ibanrfknm like this.
Eye_m_no_angel is offline  
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 AM
Senior Member
 
seagullplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
 
I wear one when I want to, I like it that way.
domindart likes this.

Psalms 34:6
seagullplayer is offline  
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:01 AM
Road Captain
 
mdcmn7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
I doubt there is a good reason not to wear a helmet. If I had to guess, I'd say those that don't on a regular basis do so because of comfort or feel. They do get hot in the summer. I have chosen not to wear one on occasion, over the last year due to neck problems.

The extra weight on my head will make my neck hurt to the point I can't wear the helmet any longer. I purchased a carbon fiber helmet hoping that would solve the problem but it did not. A friend gave me a half shell that helps a lot but still not perfect.


How is the wind on your bike

I used to get neck pain especially with the helmet for long distances

When I got my Yamaha with the tall windscreen my pain improved dramatically

I assumed it had something to do with wind resistance


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mdcmn7 is offline  
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 AM
Senior Member
 
chewybrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
 
It was Sunday, sunny, very low traffic, and I was very aware of the traffic around me. Two lanes over, there were only two other cars near me as I stopped at the light. The second was not ready for the first to stop, and locked up his brakes, sliding at 45 degrees right at me.

I was hit from behind, from my blind spot, and knocked about thirty feet to the pavement. I got a broken arm. My head also hit the pavement pretty hard, but the helmet took the hit.

I don't want to judge anyone for their choice. But, if they make that choice because they think it can't happen to them, that part is just wrong. All the skill or attention in the world can't always protect you. Make your own choice, but don't fool yourself about the risks.
gunslinger likes this.
chewybrian is offline  
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Rough Writer
 
vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 2,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
 
I wear a helmet about 95% of the time, primarily because I know that things can go bad in a hurry and that even a minor bump on the head can be life ending or life changing without a helmet. But a small percentage of the time I enjoy the feeling of riding without a helmet. Yes, the wind blows my hair all over the place but it is a openness and freedom that you cannot get when wearing a full face helmet. In fact, I rarely ride in the winter because if I have to totally bundle up, and wear a full face helmet with the visor down, heavy gloves, etc, I lose the experience of being on a motorcycle. Sometimes in the summer after I get home from a ride, I decide to just run out the 1 mile each way to fill up the bike with gas. Sometimes I make that short ride in shorts, sandals, no helmet, no gloves and it feels fabulous. So it has nothing to do with looking cool and everything to do with enhancing the fun of riding.

One of the compromises that I find does work is to wear a 3/4 helmet. It gives you some of the protection of a full helmet, especially for the part of your head that holds your brain, but some of the openness that going helmetless offers you.

U.S. Army (Retired)
NRA Life Member
Former MSF Instructor
Fully Retired!
Refined Hydrocarbon Recycler
2016 Honda Goldwing

"Those that beat their guns into plows will be plowing for those who did not."
vito is offline  
post #11 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Master At Arms
 
Glenn54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Hemphill, Texas
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
 
I have a tall windshield and fairing on my Voyager. I don't I have that much wind but obviously there is some wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcmn7 View Post
How is the wind on your bike

I used to get neck pain especially with the helmet for long distances

When I got my Yamaha with the tall windscreen my pain improved dramatically

I assumed it had something to do with wind resistance


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Glenn54 is offline  
post #12 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:07 PM
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
 
primalmu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcowboy View Post
I'd bet those that don't here in Texas claim it's a heat issue. And I agree that 104º - 112º temps it's crazy hot.
Thing is, I live in Tucson. I can't imagine not wearing a full face helmet -- riding in the summer with the visor up (much less with no helmet) is like having a furnace blasting in your face.

Current:
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
1984 Honda Gold Wing GL1200 (stripped) - Project

Previous:
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200 (naked)
2005 Suzuki Bandit 1200 (faired)
1998 Suzuki Marauder 800
2003(ish) Suzuki Katana 600
1984(ish) Kawasaki KZ550
2003 Suzuki GZ250
primalmu is online now  
post #13 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Zebraranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
 
I myself use a helmet.
My thoughts on it is simple.
To each his own. I do what I do and I really don't care what others prefer to do.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 SE
Zebraranger is offline  
post #14 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Master At Arms
 
domindart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: atlanta ga
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
 
I always wear a helmet... I sold my full face arai helmet , thought I'd never be back on a bike . Wish I hadn't. I have a ¾ helmet now that's dot approved. I like that on cause it's easier to wear. It doesnt fit quite as tight (which is correct fit for a full face helmet). Also I can flip up the visor and have access to my face on the ¾ . But I know a full face is more protection. Getting back into riding I wish I had the arai still. I like both helmets.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
domindart is offline  
post #15 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:28 PM
Road Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana/ Michigan line at the big Lake
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
 
It's hard not to have overconfidence creeping in and stop wearing one.
30+ years in the saddle, never wrecked, still never leave the driveway without
a minimum of the hard head n' decent boots.

Once in awhile I'll sneak down to the C-store in the heat of July
and it's weird without one. I can't fully relax unless the bucket is on.
cheechee1 likes this.
Cheap Bass Turd is offline  
post #16 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:38 PM
Visionary
 
mike721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bangor, PA
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
 
It just doesn't make sense to me not to wear a helmet, all the time, and a full face at that.
I'm not preaching, I live in a helmet not required state and I believe strongly in free choice and it's up to an adult what they want to wear for protection but I know just how vulnerable a head is in even a minor accident and I'm not willing to take the chance. I tried it once going two miles at 30 mph to the supermarket and I felt so weird and vulnerable.

Anyone that says a helmet doesn't help in slow crashes in town , I'll be glad to try an experiment, I'll bring my old, worn out $50 helmet, they bring their head and optional do-rag or ball cap.
We walk, then run headfirst into a brick wall. I'll probably hurt my neck and be sore for a week but bet I know who the last man standing will be.
A helmet may not do much in a 90 mph crash on the interstate, but at 25 mph in town it can easily be the difference between life and death.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Victory Vision, 2011 Victory Kingpin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Riding Victory...'til the wheels fall off!
mike721 is online now  
post #17 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:38 PM
Nightfly
 
Tobacco Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: S. Central Pa.
Posts: 2,286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
 
cheechee1, I don't agree that most people on cruisers choose not to ride with a helmet. Nor do I think it's something you should be concerned with. Thankfully I live in a state that allows me to choose. I don't have to have a reason to wear or not to wear a helmet, that's a decision I make when I swing my leg over the saddle. Sometimes I wear, sometimes I don't, simple. BTW, I don't believe thinking they look cool has one damn thing to do with it.
Tobacco Road is offline  
post #18 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:35 PM
Honey Badger
 
Scourge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE PA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
 
Natural causes are a terrible crap shoot of torture and pain. I am one diagnosis away from NGAAT (No Gear At Any Time)

Until then... I'm dumb and ugly enough, and I've caught enough road debris in the puss. I wear the FF lid.

YMMV
Scourge is offline  
post #19 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
 
Eye_m_no_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 15,232
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
 
Of the people I know who choose not to wear a helmet all of the time I can't think of a single one who doesn't realize it's more dangerous than wearing a helmet. They're not fooling themselves, nor do they believe "it" won't ever happen to them. They know it can because most of them have seen it happen far more often then the average fellow on a motorcycle these days.

As I said, all of us have different levels of risk we accept, and enjoy.
Eye_m_no_angel is offline  
post #20 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
 
Eye_m_no_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 15,232
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
 
What's interesting to me is that, in discussion such as this, I almost always see many of the "ATGATT" crowd commenting about the stupidity of those who don't-do-as-they-do, and questioning their intelligence.

And I usually see the helmet-optional crowd taking a more relaxed, live-and-let-live attitude. I have yet to see a non-helmet, non-ATGATT guy, question the intelligence or motivations of another fellow who chooses to wear all the gear.
Bedub and Cheap Bass Turd like this.
Eye_m_no_angel is offline  
post #21 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:43 PM
Nightfly
 
Tobacco Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: S. Central Pa.
Posts: 2,286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
 
With almost 1 in 3 motorcycle deaths being the result of alcohol consumption by the rider, maybe riders need to be more aware of drinking while riding than whether or not they wear a helmet.

The "ATGATT" crowd will never see things any other way but their way. That's how they protect themselves, so they appear smarter, and so are able to blame you for not being as informed as they are.
Bedub and Cheap Bass Turd like this.
Tobacco Road is offline  
post #22 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 AM
Hero's are Remembered, Legends Never Die
 
Outlaws Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Watertown New York
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechee1 View Post
Everybody should know how many deaths are caused from head trauma on motorcycles... yet I feel in my immediate area I am part of a minority of riders who actually wear full gear.
I have crashed before so that might be why. But I am curious why most people on cruisers choose not to ride with a helmet? Is it because they don't think riding with full gear looks cool or is normal for their area? Would you be viewed as a square for doing so? Or do you not care if you scrape your lower jaw off on an asphalt slide?
I am curious as to what you call "Full Gear" this seems to have a different meaning depending on who you ask.

To me it means:

Full face Helmet with eye protection
Street motorcycle specific gloves (Mine are all leather)
Street motorcycle specific jacket with armor (When on the track I wear full leather suit)
Street motorcycle specific pants with armor
Protective boots, sturdy with ankle protection (I wear motorcycle specific boots)

Several posts questions ATGATT folks. I cannot speak for others but I don't really care what others wear or how they dress. I am actually opposed to helmet laws under pretense that it should be a choice, we have to much big brother in our lives already.

As for alcohol it is a problem but the numbers show it is involved in about 21% of motorcycle fatalities. The biggest problem for riders are single vehicle accidents and failing to negotiate a curve.

David
National Rider Training

Last edited by Outlaws Justice; 04-19-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Outlaws Justice is offline  
post #23 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:05 AM
Nightfly
 
Tobacco Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: S. Central Pa.
Posts: 2,286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
 
This from the NHTSA.gov/people/injury...
Approximately 43 percent of all fatal motorcycle crashes involve alcohol. A motorcycle requires more skill and coordination to operate than a car. Riding a motorcycle while under the influence of any alcohol significantly decreases an operator's ability to operate it safely.

An estimated one-third of motorcycle operators killed in crashes are not licensed or are improperly licensed to operate a motorcycle
Tobacco Road is offline  
post #24 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:32 AM
Hero of Legend
 
Kaptain K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by primalmu View Post
Thing is, I live in Tucson. I can't imagine not wearing a full face helmet -- riding in the summer with the visor up (much less with no helmet) is like having a furnace blasting in your face.
Very good point. And adds a new dimension to a saying of mine ( when people tell me I should take off my helmet because it's so hot out )

"If it's too hot for a helmet, it's too hot for a ride."

I support the right of every person to make their own choice on the matter, but those people need to own up to their reasons. And the only reason to go without a helmet, is a blatant appeal to machismo. It makes you look and feel tough. Right up until the concrete makes you feel not so tough. And then not so alive.
Kenny_Gardner and cheechee1 like this.

"Pseudo-philosophical quote" - Pseudo-philosopher
Kaptain K is offline  
post #25 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Motorcyclist
 
cheechee1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
 
Garage
It makes no sense to me, but either way I wave. I just feel sorry for that EMT who's going to have the mental imagery scarred in his brain of that time he picked up that cool dude with his face all shredded on the side of the road. It's also the thing of knowing how much more your chances are of survival are wearing one than not... You're free to do as you want and take as much risk as you like but I think there comes a point where there's needless risk involved. With years of motorcycle accidents to let you know what you should be doing to limit your chances of a messed up day.

I'll tell you a quick story
, I used to not wear my helmet in Combat. For a few months on end I stopped wearing my Kevlar helmet, because the chin strap soaked in months of sweat an heat felt like crap on w/e stubble of hair I had growing on missions. Thought I was all bad ass in the gunner hatch, plus I was looking for a fight an might've had a sort of death wish. Until I got one in a particular valley. We rode into a complex ambush and the rounds were snapping over top of my exposed head. The first thing I did on my noodle legs was fumble around and grab my helmet and throw on the chin strap. Luckily I had the chance to put it on. A friend of mine in another platoon took a sniper round and was killed, I remember thinking my poor choices may have had an influence on his decision before that mission.

Don't mean to get all into the war crap. But I know when I crashed I was also glad I had my helmet on after the back of my head hit the road. It's always better safe than sorry.
Scourge likes this.

Last edited by cheechee1; 04-19-2017 at 02:42 AM.
cheechee1 is offline  
post #26 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:29 AM
Senior Member
 
seagullplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
 
I sure feel enlightened.

Looks like you could get hurt riding a motorcycle!

Now I can see it is much safer to ride with a helmet on.

What was I thinking.

I'm glad the internet is around so I can find this stuff out.

I feel lucky that the OP asked why people choose not to wear a helmet so folks could tell us why they do, and why they think other people choose not to. I appreciate it when they tell me what I'm thinking, that way if I am wrong they can take the time to straighten me out.

--------

People do things differently and come to different conclusions. My idea of high risk and yours may be very different. Just because someone chooses to manage risk in a different way does not mean they did not make an informed decision. Take people that smoke, is there a person on the planet that doesn't know there are risks to smoking? And yet millions choose to do it. Are they all just stupid? Maybe you need to tell them it causes cancer, maybe they don't know...

Why do I choose to go without a helmet as often as I do? Because I like it.

Buy your ticket, play your game. When I need help with my cards I'll ask.
Mudflap and gunslinger like this.

Psalms 34:6
seagullplayer is offline  
post #27 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Hero's are Remembered, Legends Never Die
 
Outlaws Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Watertown New York
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobacco Road View Post
This from the NHTSA.gov/people/injury...
Approximately 43 percent of all fatal motorcycle crashes involve alcohol.
What year is your Data?

Also the numbers are very different between legally intoxicated (.08) and any alcohol involved. so we probably agree and are looking at different numbers.

David
National Rider Training
Outlaws Justice is offline  
post #28 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
 
I agree with the idea that the more gear or protection you wear the safer you will probably be in any accident. I make the choice to wear a full face helmet, gloves, jeans and some kind of boots at all times, other than that it is up to each of us to make the decision. Here in Maryland helmets are required by law, at one time over thirty years ago that law was repealed. Deaths caused by head injuries increased dramatically and helmets were mandated again. I do support the freedom of choice, if you want to ride without a helmet I think it should be your choice, but I will laugh at someone that wears shorts and sandals, just my opinion. Now as to drinking and riding, even a couple drinks can affect reaction time and coordination, I have never and will never drink and ride. What some call freedom others may call stupid, opinions may vary.
Outlaws Justice likes this.
Rebeldog1 is offline  
post #29 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Kiwi Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
 
in my accident I ended up sliding down the road on my modular helmet visor, glove knuckles, jacket elbows, armoured pants knees and on my toes (wore through the leather of my work boots and polished the steel caps beneath).

I have always worn ATGATT and will continue to do so.

But what you want to do, go ahead, you make your own choices. I think cruiser riders look cool wearing a bandana, but it's just not for me. I'll have to resort to leaving my helmet perched on my mirror when I park the bike to look cool. It's a big ask I know, but every journey towards coolness starts with the first step.

Last edited by Kiwi Steve; 04-19-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Kiwi Steve is offline  
post #30 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 AM
Road Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana/ Michigan line at the big Lake
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
 
The three local acquaintances and one best friend who died on their
horses were way drunk at the time of the incident. One was helmeted of 4.
(this is over the course of time so not some weekly occurrence)
Quite a few deaths over the years from riders getting t-boned by the dreaded
left-turner. Now we get to add blind texters as the ante is upped.

Still, I'm not going to ride in Storm Trooper full body armour. LOL I accept
the risks and continue my favorite passion with SGATT (some gear all the time).
Yeah, the atgatt crowd has a point, but seem to want everyone to be as smart
as they are. Do they have a point? Hell yeah. Peeps in cages reaching back
at the kids, talking on the phone, lipsticking and shaving, Big Mac in their laps,
fumbling with the GPS, 4-6% driving on pills or alcohol, same rough percentage of
drivers completely exhausted on the drive home from a 12-16 hour shift, changing
the CD or radio station, adjusting the temperature. Some folks are doing everything
BUT driving out there so heads up gang no matter what's on your head.
Those phrases of "ride like you are invisible" and "every moving thing can kill you" can
keep yer butt alive and attached!! Ride smart, period.

( Amen brother Kiwi for being American minded, mentally
allowing all men to make their own choices. We should all be this way. Luckily the m/c
crowd in general likes to live, not just exist. We have open minds to begin with)

Ride and let ride,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap
Cheap Bass Turd is offline  
post #31 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Nightfly
 
Tobacco Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: S. Central Pa.
Posts: 2,286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
 
Kaptain K, why is it that you and those like you in the ATGATT crowd, feel they are owed an explanation from those who choose not to wear a helmet on any particular day? People I know, myself included, know not wearing a helmet has nothing to do with being macho, why can't you get that?

Are you so hung up on your own view of being righteously right that your blinders don't allow for peripheral vision on this subject. You say you support every person to make their own choice on the matter and yet, you qualify it by asking these same people that you say you support, for a reason. Nothing more than words that you can use to belittle them and claim superiority by labeling them just a bunch of macho tough guys who love to bare their hairy chest, doo rags, no teeth and dirty jeans. That's really where you're coming from.

Maybe it's just sometimes we like the feel of wind in our hair, our faces. We like being able to really hear what is going on around us, to see without having our vision blocked by some man-made, good for us piece of plastic. There is not a damn one of us who does not realize and understand the risk involved. But risk taking has always been a part of enjoying our freedoms. Thank God we still have a few of them left.

seagullplayer.. Thanks for you tongue-in-cheek post, I enjoyed the sarcasm.

Outlaws Justice. You don't have to be "legally" intoxicated to be a danger when riding your bike. That's just a government provided number which they can use to fine you, take away your license and possibly throw you in the slam.
seagullplayer likes this.

Last edited by Tobacco Road; 04-20-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Tobacco Road is offline  
post #32 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Road Captain
 
Crom&Mitra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW USA
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
 
Garage
I don't care who wears a helmet and who doesn't. Meh.

2009 H-D XR1200 -- 2008 H-D Fat Boy
Crom&Mitra is offline  
post #33 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Newbie
 
sXule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
I wear a helmet 99% of the time, and I don't really think there's a good excuse not to. At this point, I wear it because it feels weird to ride without it. Mostly I wear my full face these days because I film a motovlog (YouTube Search: MotoDBag), and I need to record my voice, but when it's super hot, I wear a half helmet. Even that is feeling weird to me now because I've gotten used to the full facer. Whether people wear a helmet or not is really on them, but I always recommend one. Just too many idiots on the road these days!
sXule is offline  
post #34 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Road Captain
 
Mr.Oilhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Danvers, Ma
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobacco Road View Post
Kaptain K, why is it that you and those like you in the ATGATT crowd, feel they are owed an explanation from those who choose not to wear a helmet on any particular day? People I know, myself included, know not wearing a helmet has nothing to do with being macho, why can't you get that?



Are you so hung up on your own view of being righteously right that your blinders don't allow for peripheral vision on this subject. You say you support every person to make their own choice on the matter and yet, you qualify it by asking these same people that you say you support, for a reason. Nothing more than words that you can use to belittle them and claim superiority by labeling them just a bunch of macho tough guys who love to bare their hairy chest, doo rags, no teeth and dirty jeans. That's really where you're coming from.



Maybe it's just sometimes we like the feel of wind in our hair, our faces. We like being able to really hear what is going on around us, to see without having our vision blocked by some man-made, good for us piece of plastic. There is not a damn one of us who does not realize and understand the risk involved. But risk taking has always been a part of enjoying our freedoms. Thank God we still have a few of them left.



seagullplayer.. Thanks for you tongue-in-cheek post, I enjoyed the sarcasm.



Outlaws Justice. You don't have to be "legally" intoxicated to be a danger when riding your bike. That's just a government provided number which they can use to fine you, take away your license and possibly throw you in the slam.


Maybe you just love the sound of your own voice... Step off the soapbox and go for and unprotected ride.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr.Oilhead is offline  
post #35 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Hero of Legend
 
Kaptain K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobacco Road View Post
Kaptain K, why is it that you and those like you in the ATGATT crowd, feel they are owed an explanation from those who choose not to wear a helmet on any particular day? People I know, myself included, know not wearing a helmet has nothing to do with being macho, why can't you get that?
I never claimed to be owed an explanation from anyone, did I? A question was asked, and I answered it.

Also, I don't technically wear ATGATT, as defined by the Missouri Motorcycle Safety Course. I exclusively wear helmet, long pants, and boots. Usually some form of long sleeves ( because being gingered, I burn easily ), typically gloves ( full or half finger, depends on the weather, mostly ) often a vest ( because wind gets itchy on a hairy chest ). I only wear a full jacket when it's too cold not to, because otherwise it gets too hot, too easily, and mesh jackets are a bit pricy, for no more protection than they actually offer. And I wear my hair tied back, tucked into my shirt, and under a bandana, to prevent hair in my eyes, and tangles.

Everything I wear ( related to riding ) has a function, and everything I don't has a legitimate reason. But it's still not technically ATGATT.

But then again, I guess I don't owe you an explanation, right? You're not allowed to question my choices, after all.

Quote:
Are you so hung up on your own view of being righteously right that your blinders don't allow for peripheral vision on this subject. You say you support every person to make their own choice on the matter and yet, you qualify it by asking these same people that you say you support, for a reason. Nothing more than words that you can use to belittle them and claim superiority by labeling them just a bunch of macho tough guys who love to bare their hairy chest, doo rags, no teeth and dirty jeans. That's really where you're coming from.
Please show me where I asked anyone anything ( besides in the response directly above this quote ).

You can church it up however you want, but at the end of the day, the only reason to go bare-headed, is to look and feel "cool", and "macho". It's the only effect that going bare gives, that at least a half-shell doesn't.

Quote:
Maybe it's just sometimes we like the feel of wind in our hair, our faces. We like being able to really hear what is going on around us, to see without having our vision blocked by some man-made, good for us piece of plastic. There is not a damn one of us who does not realize and understand the risk involved. But risk taking has always been a part of enjoying our freedoms. Thank God we still have a few of them left.
And yet, of all of those things you listed, only 1 ( wind in your hair ) can not be equally achieved with a half-shell. And most of them can be achieved with an open face shell. My OF does not obstruct my view of anything, nor my ability to hear. Not in the slightest. If yours does, then you have the wrong size. And most half shells don't cover your ears ( so you have no excuse not to be able to hear ), or have any part of it ( besides the straps ) come below eye level ( so there's no excuse for not being able to see ).

I'm not interested in taking away your freedom. Just your excuses. That's MY freedom. Again, you can use whatever logic makes you feel better, but you're not fooling anyone who's ever actually ridden. Which should be most of the people in this forum.

Supporting someone's rights of choice, does not mean endorsing those choices, and ignoring the BS used to justify those choices. I've heard them all. Almost none of them hold any actual truth, compared to at least a half-shell.

Do whatever you want. It's your life, and your casket. I fully support that. Just don't act like it's anything more than vanity. That's all.
Kenny_Gardner likes this.

"Pseudo-philosophical quote" - Pseudo-philosopher

Last edited by Kaptain K; 04-20-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Kaptain K is offline  
post #36 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:18 PM
Rough Writer
 
Porky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,373
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
 
"What's your reason NOT to wear a helmet?"

High temps and very high humidity with a slow, winding ride with very competent riders and feeling safe.

Best reason to not wear a helmet is to be able to hear every last decibel coming from my Vance and Hines longshots as I putt-putted serenely through the Black Hills of South Dakota

Last time was 1992 at the Sturgis Rally, stone cold sober, 105 degrees and a 1000% humidity, with speed never over 50 mph. I DID look COOL in my Custom Dew Rag with chin strap, no shirt with my leather vest proudly displaying my patches, ride pins, club rocker and other memorabilia

I wouldn't pull my bike out of the barn now without a helmet on and I absolutely wear one all the time.

Sam

2016 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom Adventure bike.

Amateur Extra
Porky is offline  
post #37 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Road Captain
 
Saefinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye_m_no_angel View Post
What's interesting to me is that, in discussion such as this, I almost always see many of the "ATGATT" crowd commenting about the stupidity of those who don't-do-as-they-do, and questioning their intelligence.

And I usually see the helmet-optional crowd taking a more relaxed, live-and-let-live attitude. I have yet to see a non-helmet, non-ATGATT guy, question the intelligence or motivations of another fellow who chooses to wear all the gear.
I don't see why they need to do that. I think you said it quite eloquently, that some are more comfortable with the risks than others. Car drivers could do the same argument to us; because they're protected by their cage, airbags and so on. Despite statistics that are marked against us versus car drivers, we still ride we are confident that we're doing it safely and accept the element of risk, that in a like-for-like accident, we're in more danger than the car driver. And there are number of hobbies out there with a greater element of risk that people don't seem to question other people's intelligence over. If you're cocky, overconfident and take the "it'll never happen to me" attitude, then I might think you a fool, as all it takes is some sod to run you down to prove otherwise. As long as people are fully aware of what we're doing, we're grown adults, we can make our own decisions and don't need to be spoon fed. I think the people who're cocky and don't where protection and those who don't whilst knowing the risks get thrown into the same stereotype.

Personally? I wear gear and I wear a helmet...and have to wear a helmet as it is a legal requirement in the UK. But I am of the mind that I'd rather reduce the risk of some tosser ruining my day more than they have to - or ruining biking for me and I can get gear that a) I like the look of and b) is comfortable to ride in. But I ain't going to preach what other people do, just hope they know what they're doing when they do.
Kenny_Gardner likes this.

Riding a 2015 Honda CB125F
Saefinn is offline  
post #38 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Greece Thessaloniki
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
well people my opinion is always to wear helmet and to drive safe .
i can uderstand some reasons for not to do like for showoff etc but its more atractable to have your body well protected
Kenny_Gardner likes this.
Apegner GR is offline  
post #39 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Road Captain
 
Crom&Mitra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW USA
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
 
Garage
Some ATGATT folks are just like some vegans: always in your face trying to shame you out of eating meat, or in this case, shame you into wearing a helmet. (Notice I used the word "some".) To those "some": You're not my damn nanny!

Trying to shame folks usually doesn't work anyhow. Eye_m_no_angel says it well ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye_m_no_angel View Post
What's interesting to me is that, in discussion such as this, I almost always see many of the "ATGATT" crowd commenting about the stupidity of those who don't-do-as-they-do, and questioning their intelligence.

And I usually see the helmet-optional crowd taking a more relaxed, live-and-let-live attitude. I have yet to see a non-helmet, non-ATGATT guy, question the intelligence or motivations of another fellow who chooses to wear all the gear.

2009 H-D XR1200 -- 2008 H-D Fat Boy

Last edited by Crom&Mitra; 04-20-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Crom&Mitra is offline  
post #40 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
 
Eye_m_no_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 15,232
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
A question was asked, and I answered it.
Indeed. And you are answering from the point of view of someone who is prejudiced against riding without a helmet. And that's certainly okay, but do you have any actual experience riding without a helmet?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
You can church it up however you want, but at the end of the day, the only reason to go bare-headed, is to look and feel "cool", and "macho". It's the only effect that going bare gives, that at least a half-shell doesn't.
This could be a true statement, but only so far as it applies to yourself.

Because you feel a certain way doesn't mean your opinion has any validity as it applies to anyone else. Other people have their reasons both for, and against, but you are choosing not to believe them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
Just don't act like it's anything more than vanity. That's all.
Why shouldn't he? For many people vanity has absolutely nothing to do with it. I'd say either you are incapable of understanding that, or just choose not to understand that, or you have some way of understanding and divining the inner thoughts and emotions of other people better than they understand them themselves.
gunslinger likes this.
Eye_m_no_angel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome