Hi yall. I'm so new I'm still a wannabenewbie. I take my riders course this month and it will be my first time on a motorcycle since a dirt bike some 15 years ago and I don't have any more experience with that than just a few rides around a big yard. I can ride a bicycle pretty good though, got a Mongoose Montana.
This forum looks active with people willing to talk. Awesome!
I'm looking at a motorcycle because 1, I've always wanted one and 2, gas is expensive. The reasons justify each other. A motorcycle looks like a cost effective means of daily transport and fun to boot.
So, this motorcycle will be a daily driver. I commute 5 days a week, 60 miles round trip and most of that is highway and interstate; 55 - 65 mph. Some days I do 60 mph nearly from door to door.
I'm looking at a cruiser class motorcycle. My current top 6 choices are:
07-08 Honda Shadow VLX 583cc, chain drive, 1 carb, 452 pounds, 4 speed.
07-08 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. 745cc, chain drive, 2 carbs, 496 pounds, 5 speed.
07-08 Honda VT750DC 745cc, shaft drive, 1 carb, 553 pounds, 5 speed.
07-08 Honda VT750C2 745cc, shaft drive, 1 carb, 553 pounds, 5 speed.
07-08 Honda Aero 745cc, shaft drive, 1 carb, 553 pounds, 5 speed.
08 Suzuki Boulevard S50 50 cubic inch (819cc), shaft drive, 2 carb, 443 pounds, 5 speed.
08 Suzuki Boulevard C50 Black 50 cubic inch (819cc), shaft drive, fuel injected, 542 pounds, 5 speed.
I got those specs from their respective websites.
The Honda VLX is the least expensive at $5,500. The rest range from $6,500 to $6,800 on the sticker.
What appeals to me with these is that they are liquid cooled. Sometimes I get in slow traffic. Sometimes I get in a multi-lane parking lot masquerading as a highway. I don't want to be on the shoulder and I hear liquid cooled engines last longer. That also answers the question, "Why not a Harley?" I'd have to go bigger and costlier than I want to get one that's liquid cooled. If only the 883 had a radiator.
I thought about a standard class motorcycle but learned most of them are insured as sport bikes and that adds nearly $1,000 to the cost of coverage.
Here's the questions.
1. How does Honda and Suzuki compare in terms of long term durability? I do see more and older used Hondas for sale than Suzukis.
2. My Nissan truck is 7 years old and has 195,000 fairly trouble free miles on it. How many miles is a fairly well maintained motorcycle like these good for?
3. What's fairly well maintained for a motorcycle?
4. How's the gas mileage on these? My research so far shows upper 40s to mid 50s. Trouble is, most manufacturers don't give mpg. I've had to search around owner postings, like I am now. Thanks, by the way. I do also understand that more weight, like bags, other accessories and cargo have a greater impact on motorcycle mpg than car mpg.
5. A guy at work rides a brand new Honda VLX and commutes a longer distance than I do. He says that 583cc engine handles 55-65 mph just fine and has throttle to spare. Opinions on that?
6. Tires? Another guy at works rides a Honda ACE, a medium weight cruiser, I think. He says I'd be buying a new set of tires every year. Really?
7. Chain vs shaft. I hear shaft is more better. ?
8. Is fuel injection really much better on gas than carbs?
9. Where do I put the spare tire?
10. I was just kidding about 9, unless yall got tricks. Is there anything I'm not asking?
Thanks in advance